Angle in the Woods

Angle in the Woods
Primitive Boiko wood carving

Friday, August 29, 2008

Last post in Ukraine





Yesterday I moved back to Slav's apartment and caught up with Cousin Leysia and her new husband and baby. They took me back to the interesting Museum of Folk Architecture and Life that my son and I visited on our last trip, where dwellings from all over Ukraine are displayed. It's a huge place-helping me to burn up some of the billions of calories I have consumed in the last several weeks. Next we went to a huge park in Lviv, over 2 miles long. I was impressed with how beautiful and beautifully kept it is. Hundreds of people were enjoying the early evening coolness, feeding swans, roller blading, biking and just relaxing. I now understand how people can live in the exceptionally small flats that most have. They really use the parks as an extension of their living space. Leysia said there is virtually no crime or problems with the homeless in these verdant oasises. They then treated me to a yummy meal in a restaurant called Shakespear. With thoughts of starting teaching next week, I ordered brain and scrambled eggs which was really delicious!

As we traveled around Lviv, I noticed bridal parties all over the place. Leysia explained that it is a Ukrainian custom to take photographs at various monuments and scenic vistas. Most couples are married twice-once at City Hall and again in a church ceremony.

Tomorrow a contingent of relatives will take me to the airport. I feel like I have been here for years yet it seems too soon to leave. I'll miss all these great people and the country itself. I've experienced a trip of a lifetime and I'm very grateful for the opportunity for a second journey to the land of my ancestors.

The Lviv airport is the most unusual one I have ever seen. Built 50 years ago with almost no improvements in the interim, it's just like walking into someone's living room, one that has terrific Soviet-style murals of workers on the ceiling! Arrivals and departures are in the same small space. Ukraine is hosting the World Soccer Game in 2011 and is planning big improvements to the airport.

Hopefully I'll continue my positive experience with Air Lot and arrive at JFK in time for the last limo to Philly-otherwise it's a long night at the airport. Thanks for all your comments and good wishes-they meant a lot to a lone traveler in a foreign land!

1 comment:

KenB said...

Wishing you good travels and a safe home.

Ken Bratsies