Angle in the Woods

Angle in the Woods
Primitive Boiko wood carving

Thursday, August 14, 2008

All that sweating for nothing!





Here I am in beautiful Lviv, wandering around in circles like a ninny, trying to get my bearings!

So far all has been very good. Traveled endlessly on the much-maligned Air LOT but totally without problems. Took off on time, caught my connection in Warsaw and got my luggage. On top of that, met a good friend of Manny Barbas from Syracuse who helped me carry my bags and navigate the very confusing customs procedures in Lviv. He speaks Ukrainian and was traveling with his daughter to meet relatives. I was slightly envious of the large family delegation that came to meet them until I looked around and saw my own, smaller delegation! I was expecting Slav Tsarynnk, owner of Lviv Ecotour, to pick me up but Maria and Yuraslav were there also, waving excitedly and shouting "Sandra! Sandra!"

My apartment is lovely, fortunately right in the middle of things since I can't seem to find my way around the block. It was so nice to see Slav again! He settled me in the flat and then showed me the neighborhood. The place where we stayed during our last visit is right around the corner so the area is familiar.

Yaraslav picked me up in the evening for dinner. We were both amused to see a large, black pig relaxing on the street! I found out later that the pig shares a flat with a Lviv couple and sleeps on the balcony. Before we reached my cousin's trusty Lada, we ran into a solidarity rally protesting Russia's recent invasion of Georgia. Ukrainians are quite concerned about this development, worried about their own situation.

It was great to be back at Yaraslav's home, reconnecting with the first relatives we met 2 years ago. Maria was very pregnant then, now her little Alexander is running around the apartment, speaking Ukrainian and English effortlessly. I finally met her husband who caught me up with American swimmer Michael Phelps' quest for 8 Olympic gold metals- he's up to five! Yaraslav is the chef since his internist wife is the doctor on duty at her clinic and dinner was delicious. I discovered, much to my relief, that 88 year-old Catherine is fine. She yearly goes to the hospital for check-ups and is putting this off until after my visit.

It's difficult not knowing the language. I actually thought that I bought a banana yogurt but wound up eating chocolate pudding for breakfast! I stopped for coffee at a lovely little courtyard but was totally flummoxed by the menu. Finally thought to ask for one in English. Wandered aimlessly looking for this Internet cafe until I stopped in a travel agency and a young girl walked me here, happy to practice her English. I'm learning to be creative and proactive!

So I'm off to explore a few museums as I stumble around, sounding out the street signs and holding the map upside down. Glad I learned the Cyrillic alphabet before I left! Oh, Alexander, where are you when I need you! (Everyone asked for you!)

4 comments:

KenB said...

Hi Sandy, It looks like you're underway! Have a terrific time. I was with my father this past week, and he's extremely excited about you and your trip. I'm eager for those pics of Zhuravno. Enjoy!

Ken

Shelley Hucul said...

Hello Sandy, from Shelley and Bernie Hucul. We will be eagerly following your travels. Have a great time!

Shelley Hucul said...

Dear Sandy
Such a lovely welcome for you there in Ukraine!
And you learned Cyrillic - thank goodness; that'll will serve you well. That's so funny re: chocolate pudding.
This weekend is the Salmon Arm Roots and Blues
Festival, including International Music, often Slavic (klezmer - spelling?) origins. So, we Huculs will be all consumed over the 3 days. The Festival is kitty korner from Hucul Printing (which turns into our headquarters). This gives me the opportunity to check out your blog over the weekend, on my computer (internet)!
Enjoy!
Shelley Hucul

Sandy B. said...

Hi Sandy,
From one Sandy to another. I hope to connect with you here as you suggested. Our trip was in July of 2008 to Wysoko Nyzene two hours south of Lviv. Used our interpreter to send a message by phone to relatives there last week.Wondered if you have mailed anything to your family and did they get it. I live about three hours west of Philly. Love to hear more of our mutual interest.